Contact Information

Archives of the University of Ottawa
100, Marie-Curie (corner of King Edward)
Room 012
P.O. 450, Stn. A
OTTAWA, Ontario
K1N 6N5

Phone: (613) 562-5750
Fax: (613) 562-5198
E-mail: archives@uottawa.ca

Guide to the Fonds and Collections

Search the Database

By Title only
By Content only
By Fond Number only
Everywhere

 

New Search

THE ACADEMY OF MEDICINE OTTAWA FONDS. - - 1874-2005 - 6.52 m of textual records. - 49 multimedia documents. - 29 artifact documents.

Reference Number: 141

Administrative history

The Academy of Medicine was founded on March 20, 1874, as the Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society. Its current name, the Academy of Medicine Ottawa, was adopted on December 30, 1946. This association of medical doctors met regularly since the 1870's to study issues of mutual concern and to discuss medical papers, many of them presented by invited lecturers from abroad.

Scope and content

Records of the Academy include minutes (1874-1985), chronological correspondence (1893-1994), annual report (1960-1962), scrapbooks, and account books (1922-1962). Also contains photographs of local doctors involved in the Academy. Old medical instruments from the 19th and 20th century are also in the holding. Researchers interested in either the history of medicine in Ottawa or the evolution of medical Knowledge will find a wealth of original information in this fonds. Of particular interest to historians of Ottawa is the Dr. Henry Small Collection which consists mainly of scrapbooks documenting the development of medicine in Ottawa.

Immediate source of acquisition: Gift.

Languages: English.

Restrictions: Documents containing personal and confidential information are restricted to consultation and reproduction. The records are submitted to the Copyright's Act.

Finding aids: Inventory of textual records; inventory of multimedias records; Séguin, G., Simple Numerical Register of Record Group No. 141: The Academy of Medicine Ottawa: 1874-1969. -Ottawa: University of Ottawa Archives, 1983, 45 p.

Associated material: Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society, National Archives of Canada, 395 Wellington St., Ottawa, Ont., K1A 0N3.

Accessions: More accruals are expected.




French

FONDS THE ACADEMY OF MEDECINE OTTAWA. - - 1874-2005 - 6,52 m de documents textuels. - 49 documents multimédias. - 29 documents artefacts.

Numéro de fond: 141

Portée et contenu

Les dossiers de l'académie comprennent des procès-verbaux (1874-1985), une correspondance chronologique (1893-1988), des rapports annuels (1960-1962), des albums, des livres de comptabilité (1922-1962). Le fonds contient également des photographies des médecins locaux membres de l'académie, de vieux instruments médicaux des 19e et 20e siècles. Le chercheur intéressé à l'histoire de la médecine à Ottawa ou à l'évolution des connaissances médicales trouvera dans le fonds une foule de renseignments originaux. Particulièrement intéressante pour les historiens d'ottawa, la collection du docteur Henri Small consiste principalement en albums sur l'évolution de la médecine à Ottawa.

Source immédiate d'acquisition: Don.

Langues: Anglais.

Restrictions: Les documents contenant des informations personnelles et confidentielles sont restreints à la consultation et à la reproduction. Les documents sont soumis à la Loi sur les droits d'auteur.

Instruments de recherche: Inventaire des documents textuels; inventaire des documents multimédias; Séguin, G., Simple Numerical Register of Record Group No. 141: The Academy of Medicine Ottawa: 1874-1979. Ottawa: Archives de l'Université d'Ottawa, 1983, 45 p.

Documents connexes: Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society, Archives nationales du Canada, 395 rue Wellington, Ottawa, Ont., K1A 0N3.

Versements complémentaires: D'autres versements sont attendus.

© University of Ottawa
For additional information, please contact us
Technical questions? Contact archives@uottawa.ca
Last updated: 2010.08.17